The week kicked off with 13 people plus babies/toddlers attending a fun babywearing cha cha class at the Dowse gallery, led by the lovely Hiria (who was ‘wearing’ her son in an SSC). The choreography was simple enough to pick up, and the gentle dance moves soothed some of the babies off to sleep. And dancing with a toddler strapped to your back is a pretty good workout!
Later in the week, Hester helped a few people shop for material then use the material to make their own stretchy wraps. Thanks to our regular venue, the Southern Cross Garden Bar for the use of the Guest Room for the DIY session.
Ending the week was our second ever sling walk. We decided to change the route this year to make it a bit easier to walk (ie flatter!) so registration was at Frank Kitts Park. Last year we had around 25 people attend so were expecting a similar number, maybe a bit more.
So we were pleasantly surprised to see lots and lots of people with carriers turning up to register, so many in fact that we ran out of goodie bags. All up we had around 60 adults and around 40 children attend which was a fantastic turnout! And an even bigger surprise was to discover that NZ Babywearing Week organiser Helen MacMillan and Slingbabies founder Jess Richards had flown down from Auckland for the day to attend. It was lovely to finally meet Helen and to see Jess again.
Wellington had put on a stunning afternoon for us, and we set off along the waterfront in the sunshine, attracting lots of looks from people wandering the other way. So much babywearing en masse was obviously quite a sight!
We walked around Te Papa and then along to Courtney Place, and up Dixon St. Then a lovely stroll taking in the sights and sounds of Cuba St before we arrived at the Southern Cross – the destination for afternoon tea and the prizegiving. Thanks again to the Southern Cross for hosting us and providing some yummy food platters.
Thanks to the generosity of the NZ Babywearing Week sponsors and some local businesses, we had a great range of prizes to give away.
- A limited edition Manduca SweetSoda valued at $255 courtesy of Wickelkinder GmbH won by Cassie
- An aromatherapy/massage voucher valued at $60 from L’esscience won by Catherine
- $50 voucher to spend at the Southern Cross Garden Bar won by Laurel
- $50 voucher to spend at Over the Rainbow won by Olivia and Richard
- Pair of BabyBanz sunglasses valued at $39.95 from Wellington South Baby on the Move won by Laura
- A Manduca front pouch valued at $39.95 courtesy of Wickelkinder GmbH won by Karin
- A one year subscription to The Natural Parent Magazine valued at $32.00 courtesy of The Natural Parent Magazine won by Kathryn
- A pair of Manduca fumbee shoulder strap protectors suitable for baby carriers, carseats and push chairs, valued at $29.95 courtesy of Wickelkinder GmbH won by Anna
- 3 x $25 vouchers from Wish Skin Spa won by Iona and Jenny
- An OURS DVD valued at $25.00 courtesy of OURS DVD
- A bag of Rockin’ Green eco laundry detergent valued at $22.80 courtesy of Rockin’ Green NZ won by Cassie
- A pair of Huggalugs leg & arm warmers valued at $19.95 courtesy of Huggalugs won by Holly
- A Tummy2Tummy Babywearing Instructional DVD valued at $19.95 courtesy of My Natural Baby Ltd won by Louise
- 7 copies of the latest issue of The Natural Parent Magazine valued at $9.90 each courtesy of The Natural Parent Magazine
We hope that all the winners enjoyed their prizes!
At the end of the prizegiving, the committee got a prize of our own – a new Storchenwiege Albert woven wrap kindly donated from Helen (who also runs My Natural Baby). This brightly coloured wrap is a fantastic addition to our carrier library and is available to hire at our slingmeets. It was a lovely way to end a great afternoon.
Thank you to everyone who attended for supporting us and helping to make the afternoon such a success. We’re all looking forward to this year’s one now!